RE: Differences between Oracle and Progress, actually starting point for considering any migration from Oracle to anything else...

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kamutandeb@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:57:47 -0400

Oracle has PL/SQL. Until and unless Oracle decides the port PL/SQL to some
sort of minimum requirements platform features in competing databases so
that at least an 80% subset of PL/SQL is portable, the first fiscally
responsible step is to access whether it is practical to move your code base
off PL/SQL. If it is not, then you save the costs of the rest of the
comparison. By the way, do not hold your breath. Whatever adjectives get
coupled with Larry Ellison in a sentence, you will rarely see one of them be
"stupid."

Regards,

mwf