RE: Did you ever have one of those days?

  • From: Michael Thomas <mhthomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:55:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

--- Paula_Stankus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Man my heart bleeds for you.  Hopefully your fellow
> DBA's won't rake you over the fire like they did

It must be the time of year or something. Yesterday
was an unfortunate day for me, too, but at least it
wasn't Oracle related. :-)

I was attempting to increase the RAM in one of my
systems to 4G and mis-seated one piece and melted all
my RAM (3x1G) in the system as well as the
motherboard. It was a really good system, and the
replacement cost was *high*. Oh well. But, enough of
my rubbish.

If I notice a trend in many Oracle discussions lately,
on this lists and others, it seems to be a general
lack of accountability by 'supposedly' qualified
Oracle people, and/or their management supervisors.
This results in our frustration, and surely
frustration by our management experiencing
errors/failures due to 'simple ignorance'. Unresolved
errors/frustration are also difficult to handle.

Its very encouraging to me when I see 'new' and
positive things like this presentation:

"...describes the motivations, attitudes, and
mechanics of testing conjectures about Oracle..."

http://www.hotsos.com/e-library/abstract.php?id=41

Surely, the process Cary describes, if adopted, will
help identify and root out 'simple ignorance' and some
of our frustration with 'supposedly' qualified peers
[myself frequently included ;-)]. I am impressed and
amazed by the tact of some of our proven experts w.r.t
the scientific approach to Oracle. Thanks to them.

Have a great 'rest of the year' if you relate to the
subject line. :-)

Regards,

Mike Thomas