Device perms for ASM on Solaris

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 23:22:37 -0400

Hi list -

We're about to do our design for ASM deployments on Solaris. We're doing
a standard config that will potentially be rolled out to a couple
thousand servers. Quick question for anyone with experience doing ASM on
Solaris: how do you handle setting the device permissions in /dev?

In particular: (1) I want permissions only changed for devices
designated to ASM and (2) I want permissions to persist across
reconfiguration reboots [so one-time manual chmod won't cut it]. Of
course it needs to be fully automated; can't have someone go and
manually run a script or input something after reconfiguration reboots.
And of course it needs to be bullet-proof - we'll have enough
deployments that anything which can go wrong, will.

I know that quite a few people have done ASM on Solaris. How are you
guys doing this?

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL