Re: Design question re: DW data load

  • From: tboss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leslie.tierstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:43:40 -0500 (EST)

I know you'd like to continue w/ direct-path inserts into fact tables,
but I wonder if you're eventually going to run into major performance
issues w/ the disable/reenable of FK constraints.  My guess is, once you
get into the 100s of millions of rows, just re-enabling your FK constraints
will blow out your maintenance window.  This is what we've noticed; it takes
hours to re-enable/create FK constraints on large tables.  To say nothing
of getting your statistics up-to-date after all these inserts (no small
task to run stats all the time on a billion row table).

(of course, I may be wrong, you're probably already running a billion row
table and everything's working smoothly, and Its my installation that's
got issues :-).

Anyway; We use a transportable-tablespace/partition switch concept to load
data into our fact tables.  You can do all the pre-stats gathering, create local
indexes, etc on staging tables, partition switch and all is good.
You can do your staging operations in parallel, because the partition
switches take just a few seconds.

my 2 cents, boss