Re: Dell-Oracle-Linux: Anyone else run this...because its not working for us!

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:52:01 -0700

Hmmm.... Seti@Home and a database import are probably *very* different workloads from the perspective of the PERC controller. The database load is going to be *very* I/O intensive (and would have a very good chance of tickling bugs in a device driver) whereas I would expect Seti@Home to be CPU-intensive, doing little if any I/O. (Unless SETI@Home was making your system page hard...) How much I/O do you figure Seti@Home was driving?

Were you experiencing "restarts", or "panics"? Most UNIXen can be configured to dump an image of the kernel at the time of a panic and preserve it after a restart. I *presume* Linux has the same ability, although like other UNIXen, it may not be default behaviour. In any event, if you *can* capture a kernel dump, it *could* go a long way to diagnosing and fixing the problem. Providing you can find somebody who *wants* to, that is. :-(

Oh well, thanks for the report...

Janine Sisk wrote:

In our case the system was spontaneously restarting, while under moderately heavy load like running Seti@Home or loading a multi-GB Oracle export. As far as I can recall it never restarted while just sitting there idle.