Re: "Deallocate Unused" not releasing space above HWM

  • From: vidya kalyanaraman <vidya.kalyanaraman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:57:43 +0530

Hi All
I am trying to reclaim the wasted space (huge deletes), which are above the HWM. I had analysed the table before and got the "empty_blocks" details from dba_tables.
I am using the following query,
alter table tab1 deallocate unused;
and then to bring down the HWM,
alter table tab1 move tablespace AR_DATA; ---- Moved within the same tablespace
and then I had rebuilt all the corresponding indexes.
As a last step, I had coalesced the tablespace.
Next day (because SMON is not going to clear it up immediately), I had analyzed the tables again and got the "empty_blocks" details from dba_tables.
When I look the empty_blocks, for some tables it has not yet released the space.

Am I missing any steps? I searched Metalink, but it looks like I have covered everything that needs to be.
I have one more question. To really reclaim the space, do I have to move the table out of its own tablespace ?
Any thoughts are most welcome.

Thanks and Regards
Vidya