Deadlocks

  • From: Julio Aguilar-Chang <jachang@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:06:37 -0600

Hello:
I have an Oracle 10.2.0.4 database running on Windows Server 2003. Deadlocks are being reported in the alert log. These deadlocks are being generated by a 3rd party application. The two sessions involved in the deadlocks are staying locked for over 24 hours. The Oracle documentation states that Oracle will detect the deadlock and will automatically resolve it by rolling back the transaction that detected the deadlock, thereby allowing the first transaction to complete.

Even though my database is detecting the deadlock, it is not automatically rolling back the blocked transaction. I'm having to do that manually.

Has anyone experienced this behavior of the database not automatically resolving the deadlock? I, of course, have no access to the 3rd party app. code to see what types of explicit locks are being called, nor can I change the code even if I find out the faulty logic in the code.

Julio Aguilar-Chang
Los Alamos National Laboratory
jachang@xxxxxxxx