Re: Dead Connection Detection is ... dead?

  • From: Mark Anderson <fnmpa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:46:43 -0800

Answering my own question:

My network admin kept working on this on his own and found that traffic from the Oracle server host to my deliberately quiet client -- this traffic was apparently the DCD probe packet -- was being seen by the router two minutes after the quiet client logged onto the server. Recall that SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=1 in the Oracle server host's SQLNET.ORA file. He increased the timeout interval on the router (how long it waits before closing idle connections) to two minutes + ten seconds. My quiet client, which sends a query to the server at gradually increasing intervals to see if the connection is still valid, has been running all night and it recently reported that the query had succeeded after a quiet period of six hours. So I am hopeful that my problem has been solved and that the lesson learned is that the value of SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME is nominal and the true value must be determined by experimentation.

Thanks for hearing me out.

(trimmed)

> On 10/13/06, Mark Anderson <fnmpa@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> My apparent problem is that my server is not sending DCD probe packets
>> to my client even though SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=1 in
>> $OH/network/admin/sqlnet.ora.
>>

>> Between client and server is a router which is deliberately configured
>> to close any connection which is idle for longer than a configured
>> length of time (presently 70 seconds, although this is negotiable).
>>
>> To keep the connection open by ensuring there was activity on the
>> connection every 60 seconds I added the following lines to
>> $OH/network/admin/sqlnet.ora:
>>
>> SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=1
>> TRACE_LEVEL_SERVER=16
>> TRACE_DIRECTORY_SERVER=/home/oracle