Re: Dbms_stats giving OA-06512 error

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 00:01:37 -0500

On 01/05/2007 10:23:31 PM, Wolfgang Breitling wrote:
> At 05:36 PM 1/5/2007, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>
> >First of all, your method_opt is erroneous. You should specify something like
> >'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE SKEWONLY' or 'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE AUTO' or Wolfgang's
> >favorite option 'FOR ALL INDEXED COLUMNS SIZE <histogram size>'.
>
> Mladen,
>
> Not quite correct. method_opt=>'for all columns' gathers histograms
> on all columns with the default size of 75:

Hmmmm, you live and learn. I still like to specify my histogram size.
I stand corrected, it's not wrong, but it's wrong from the aesthetic
point of view. William, I didn't mislead you on purpose.

> William,
> I am convinced your error has nothing to do with your change to the
> gathering procedure. It has more likely to do with a change to table
> "EDRS"."AMENDMENT". Did someone create a function-based index?

Now, I'm really interested. Why would you suspect a function based index?
To me, William's case looks like a case of bug 5558878, described in the note
5558878.8. Fortunately, there is a patch for that. Of course, my recommendation
to contact Oracle Support, just to verify, still stands. They'll probably love
the trace you produced by setting the event 979.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mladen-gogala.com