Re: Dataguard / Archive Logs

  • From: "Carel-Jan Engel" <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:05:06 +0200 (CEST)

It depends.

If using ARCH as the means of transport, yes, you're probably right. I
haven't tested it, nor time to do it the coming days.

If using LGWR to get the redo sent to the standby (using standby redo log
files), the logswitch will be performed locally on the standby. So, there
is no incomplete archived redo logfile at the standby.

A test for the first case can go along the following steps:
- stop the log-transfer (defer the log_archive_dest_x)
- perform a logswitch on the primary.
- Copy the archived logfile to the standby manually
- blank or delete the last blocks, eg using dd. (talking *n*x here)
- register the logfile manually to the stanby
- try to apply it.
- see what happens

The detailed scenario will also determine when the archived logfile gets
registered at the standby. Probably/most likely after the transfer has
completed succesfully.

If you get a chance to do the test, I'd be glad if you can share
the results. Meanwhile, it's on my 'wishlist' for future tests. Thank you
for the question.

Regards, Carel-Jan

===
===