Datafile AUTOEXTEND and system performance

  • From: Sreejith S Nair <sreejithsna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle - L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 18:08:47 +0530

Hello friends,

I have been asked this question by one of our fellow team member. The question
goes as follows.

Oracle database 2 nose RAC 11.2.0.2 on Solaris  10 wih ASM

Case 1. You size the database which is expected to grow 50GB in one month for
say 6 months by creating 10 data files with maxbytes(32GB) without AUTOEXTEND
so that they  have no need to AUTOEXTEND.

Case 2. You add two datafiles with an initial size of say 100M with AUTOEXTEND
on , on next 512M.  You keep on monitoring the ASM disk space and add storage
when the disk gets full.

The question was which one is efficient. Forget the file management overheads
and all. The question is just based on system performance or 'cost' for
AUTOEXTEND ing the datafiles.  From my understanding it doesn't really makes
much difference unless your system is very very busy , though  I do not know
any metrics or how to explain how busy the system is for this to make a
difference

Please add your valuable comments on this.

Cheers,
Sreejith

--
Sent from my iPhone--