Database with NOLOGGING everywhere

I've got a 1.08TB warehouse that is pretty much all "batch mode".

Because of that "batching" they have almost 80-95% of the production
tables set to NOLOGGING, including many at the tablespace level.

We normally rely on shadow copies, but the database is archivelog.

Given all the NOLOGGING, what could I possibly hope to "recover" if I
ever had to use those archivelogs????

The shadow copy is going to naturally be a COLD backup, I would think
that would make the archivelogs practically useless.

Mind you, I may be able to copy a datafile from the shadow copy, and
then apply archive logs, but again, with all the NOLOGGING defined, what
can I hope for in the recovery? I guess I can pick up the table creates
and all, but the data would have to be all repopulated through the batch
runs?

I inherited this one.

This is at 9.2.0.6, but when we do the next conversion, I think I'm
going to push for a "more normal" archivelog + LOGGING configuration,
RMAN backups and some shadow copy for other things that database has to
do.

Thoughts? Comments?

Looking for someone who may have been caught in this situation and how
you managed. That good old "Been there done that, ended up doing ..."
type thing. Been very fortunate thus far.

Michael Kline

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

SunTrust and Seeing beyond money are federally registered service marks of
SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]