RE: Database sloowww...trying to figure out why...

  • From: Mike Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:27:43 -0600

As someone else mentioned, I think you might need to spend a little more time collecting the right data and then start fixing your problems by priority. I am guessing that all of your users are complaining about performance at this point.

Something that I have noticed in the past when working on Oracle apps installations is that poorly custom coded reports, jobs, and forms can really tear away at the performance as they slowly get introduced. You should be able to find out which jobs are the most critical and taking the longest to run within apps. Start tracing those jobs as they run and working on improving their performance. In other words, improving the puzzle piece by piece can often improve the whole.

Also, watch out for forms that allow the users to run selects without providing fields to select by. These can easily chew up a lot of resources.

Anyways, Im sure people on here will be able to give you better advice

Good luck : )

....much of the problem lies in custom scripting not in a particular module..