Re: Database in depth, by C.J. Date

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gelfand.transform@xxxxxxxxx, stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 18:06:29 +0000

I disagree. Good experience and hard work can teach you why denormalization is
a bad idea. However, it's not universally a bad idea. It has to be applied to
what you are trying to accomplish. Formal education helps you to understand
these problems, however, it is not essential.
The best data modeller I ever worked with started off spending 20 years working
for the forestry service, running around in the woods.