Re: Database in depth, by C.J. Date

  • From: Mario Cariggi <gelfand.transform@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:07:48 +0200

Hi Lex,

On 6/13/05, Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you really like mathematics, like Mladen and me, Chris' book is indeed=
 rather
> "thin". I agree.
> I think it is incredible to write a good book about this stuff in only 24=
0 pages

240 page? mine is 206 pages long: who has stolen the=20
others 34 pages to my book?  ;-).

I made a post some weeks ago on oracle-l, asking just about this book.
after the positive replies I decided to buy it and I found it really a good=
=20
book: but why entitle it 'Database in _Depth_'?

> -- then you have to make some tough decisions here and there. Also, don't=
 forget
> Chris wrote this book with a one day seminar in mind...
> For more formal stuff, you might want to read his thicker books, like his
> wellknown "Introduction to Database Systems"=20

I read it some years ago
=20
> Then, for the real fanatics, I would recommend "Foundations of Semantic
> Databases" by Bert de Brock, published by Prentice Hall (ISBN 0-13-327099=
-8).

inserted on my wish list, thank you Lex

Best regards