Database character set conversion.

  • From: Fred Tilly <ftilly@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 07:58:29 +0000 (GMT)

All,

We have two applications that use one database, and the database is configured
with character set WE8ISO8859P1. One of the applications needs to handle
multiple languages so the vendor wants us to convert ot a 16 bit character set.
However the other application in the database has not been tested against a
16bit database, and there are a lot of tables with fields defined as
varchar2(4000) and clobs.
Has anyone actually done such a conversion and is there anything we should be
looking out for.
P.S. Please do not suggest two databases as management have already said no.
Thanks
Fred.