Re: Database accidentally left in backup mode

  • From: Janine Sisk <janine@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:37:09 -0700

On Mar 15, 2010, at 1:42 PM, Jeremiah Wilton wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 1:36 PM, Janine Sisk wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that would at least give me some kind of progress indication.  Though I
>> kind of hate to kill it now, it has been going for so long already!   But
>> all files are still marked active so whatever it's doing doesn't seem to be
>> very effective.
>
> The database doesn't do anything of any duration during this process, except
> update the file headers and the controlfile.  It should be almost
> instantaneous for even large numbers of datafiles.  Duration of backup mode
> is irrelevant. You can (and should) cancel and retry at any time.  If it
> hangs again, check the wait event of the session trying to take it out of
> backup mode.  You are probably stuck on a controlfile enqueue.

I've now tried ending the backup on each tablespace manually and they all hang,
so clearly something is holding up the show.   I looked at waits but I don't
see anything directly about control files -  a little Googling tells me that
the log file switch errors probably mean my redo log is too small, but no
indication that that would cause this problem.  Am I missing something?

SQL> select sid, event, seconds_in_wait from v$session_wait;

       SID EVENT
---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------------
         2 pmon timer
              3

         3 VKTM Logical Idle Wait
        1181751

         4 rdbms ipc message
              1

       SID EVENT
---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------------
         5 DIAG idle wait
              1

         6 rdbms ipc message
              1

         7 rdbms ipc message
              1

       SID EVENT
---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------------
         8 DIAG idle wait
              1

         9 rdbms ipc message
              1

        10 rdbms ipc message
              2

       SID EVENT
---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------------
        11 rdbms ipc message
              0

        12 rdbms ipc message
              0

        13 buffer busy waits
         324593

       SID EVENT
---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------------
        14 rdbms ipc message
            884

        15 library cache pin
            147

        16 rdbms ipc message
              1

       SID EVENT
---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------------
        18 rdbms ipc message
              6

        20 rdbms ipc message
              6

        21 rdbms ipc message
              7

       SID EVENT
---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
---------------
        22 rdbms ipc message
             15

        25 Streams AQ: qmn coordinator idle wait
             13

        28 log file switch (archiving needed)
           1198

       SID EVENT