RE: Database Upgrade/Migration Dilemma

  • From: Ray Feighery <ray.feighery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:57:17 +1000 (EST)

A few months ago I did a migration from Oracle 8.0.6 to Oracle 10.2.0.2 on
Solaris. I basically used your plan outlined in your third paragraph except I
used user export/import (why can’t you use this? How big is the database?).
Everything worked well …

… because we had tested it.

A trivial example; parameter types defined in a package header and body have to
match on 10g; they didn’t on 8. So PL/SQL packages that compiled on Oracle 8
will not necessarily compile on 10g. Production downtime during a migration is
not the time to hit these problems for the first time.

Put it in writing that you are totally against migrating without testing and
make sure a copy goes to the business owner of the data. If the system is so
mission critical that it can’t be shut down during a migration (I’m against
this too) then think about what the ramifications will be if you can’t start
the application after the migration.

Ray