RE: Database Storage

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mhyder@xxxxxxxx>, "'Jeremy Schneider'" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:39:08 -0500

Just curious. You seem to be a headline reference account for bluearc as of
a press release dated December, 2005. What I'm curious about is the vintage
and mean time before failure ratings of the spinning rust inside that unit.

Let's presume you're duplex mirroring within the back-end storage. When
those units are newish, the likelihood of a two-disk failure of a pair
within the mean time to repair the first disk to go bad is something like
once in 3000 years. As you get past the mean time before failure ratings of
the spinning rust that likelihood rises dramatically, because the
expectation of failure per unit time shoots up. Presuming hot swap and
silvering or at least hot silvering to available spares, you'll tend to have
good experience when most of the devices (spinning rust units) are a lot
younger than the MTBF.

I only bring this up to suggest that IF your problem is rooted in an
increasing frequency of device failures you'll want to factor in the
possibility of replacing the older devices with newer units en masse.

Presumably you have some recent sunk capital cost in replacing individual
units.

Of course you have to weigh all these costs against the cost of a new unit.
I know next to nothing about bluearc, but if *other than recent disk
failures* you've had good luck with them, I'd check if you're just reaching
an expected "worn out" problem. Usually companies will be quite reasonable
about special deals to update technology, especially reference accounts.

On the other hand, if your problems bear no semblance to "worn out" issues,
stuff being unreliable is not a good thing for databases. It would surprise
me if any vendor in this situation would not dispatch a crack team to
analyze your problem.

Regards,

mwf