Re: Database Migration and Upgrade across Servers ( from Solaris to HP)

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Niall Litchfield <
niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> firstly I ought to say that I agree entirely with Jeremiah. In fact
> I'd go further and suggest that dbua be your first port of call ahead
> of any manual method. dbua will be aware of things you aren't and does
> do sensible checks and reminders that dbas can miss.

I will second that.

There was a time when I considered the manual method the 'manly'
method of upgrading.

"Real DBA's use the manual method for complete control".

I have not thought that way for some time now, as DBUA does a great
job, and enables me to spend less time on a less than pleasant task.

In fact if you are upgrading an SAP database from 9.x to 10.x, SAP
has a modified version of DBUA, which was the only method we could
use to reliable upgrade a windows database from 9.2.0.8 32 windows
to 10.2.0.2 64 bit windows.

Believe me, we tried other methods.

--
Jared Still