Re: Database Control vs. Grid Control

Brandon,

On 3/30/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Speaking of relying on good ol' shell scripts - that reminds me there is
a 3rd option that I hadn't really even considered, which is not running
either one - no DBC or GC at all.  The GUI is nice to have occasionally,
but I'm pretty comfortable at the command line so I suppose I could just
set up all my 10g database with no Enterprise Manager at all.  I think
that might actually be the best option for me - then I have ZERO
overhead.  I think I might just go that route unless I come up with

I have a two hour expert session at COLLAB on a topic that deals with
this exact issue: (assuming you have all the necessary licenses) I
show how you can skip past the GUI and get down to the dirty stuff :)
All the information is stored in (yet) undocumented (or partial at
best) tables. Certainly, all the APIs are there (two APIs -
DBMS_ADVISOR and DBMS_SQLTUNE cover most of it). The *only* issue that
I have seen is to stitch it all together in one nice screen.....
(Maybe I can use the light-weight APEX [Oracle Application Express]
for that and skip the CPU/Memory hungry OC4J based DBC!) Obviously, I
will not be able to cover everything in 2 hours (and about 26 pages of
text in the paper), but I will try!  Much of this has been adapted
(and added to) from the perf tuning section of my book, fwiw....  If
you have IOUG membership, maybe you can get this after COLLAB is done.

--
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc