DataGuard and closed/cold backups

  • From: The Oracle <theevoracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:05:04 -0600

Well, I've R'd the FMs, and can't seem to find a clear answer - as I'm
new to DataGuard, I need your help!  :-)

I've been asked what the ramifications of doing a cold backup on a
physical standby database would be, rather than taking the primary
database offline.  I didn't see anything in the docs that suggest this
is a bad idea, but thought I'd check with the experts...  In practice
it seems simple, but will there be any issues starting up/running an
instance off of the file copies, since before the shutdown it wasn't
the primary?

Any help/advice you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jackie