RE: DataGuard

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>, <rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:48:59 -0700

I'm not questioning Carel-Jan's recommendation at all - I think he has
more DG knowledge in his pinky than I'll ever have, but just passing on
a case where cascading setup might be appropriate/necessary:

We have been struggling to get a standard (single standby) DG setup
working for the last few months because our network connection isn't
sufficient to keep up with the rate of our redo generation and when the
transfer of archived logs falls behind far enough, it eventually freezes
the production database.  We're using ARCH to transfer the logs and
already tried upgrading to 9.2.0.8 and setting the hidden parameter
_log_archive_callout='LOCAL_FIRST=true', but we still see this behavior.
Oracle Support's recommendation is to implement a cascading standby
where we ship the logs to a local standby first and then go from the
local to the remote so that the local standby operates as a buffer to
keep the slow network from halting our primary.  We are considering
their recommendation, but going to try everything else we can think of
to avoid it first, which will probably include upgrading to 10.2 because
supposedly this problem no longer occurs in 10g, but that's the same
thing we were told about 9.2.0.7 with the local_first=true setting
(Metalink 260040.1) and we're not very confident based on our experience
with that config.

Of course another option that we're considering is increasing the
network bandwidth to the remote destination, but we would really like to
have dataguard configured such that it will absolutely never impair
production performance because even with the increased bandwidth, there
is always the possibility of WAN problems, someone accidentally clogging
the pipe with other large files, etc.

Carel-Jan, if you have any recommendations, we'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
Brandon