RE: DataGuard

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 00:12:00 +0100

Dick,

In Mon, 2007-01-15 at 15:57 -0500, Richard J. Goulet wrote:
> Thanks guys,  You've given me plenty to read & think upon.  What I
> have to do for a client is have a main database server with a fail
> over standby in the same data center (they did not want to pay for
> RAC, LONGGG story),

Good decision! Most of my customers do this.

> and a disaster recovery standby database in a disaster recovery
> datacenter 2,000 miles away.  The idea is to have either database in
> the local datacenter be the prime with the other as a standby & the DR
> site maintained automatically.  Looks like I've some fun to have.

This is the setup I have running at over a dozen sites. Works like a
charm!

Stay away from cascaded redo transport as far as you can. You simply
don't want that in HA environments. As Miracleas.dk states:
'..Complexity is the enemy of availability...' (and I'd like to add: '..
but the friend of consultancy...' J). Imagine a switchover with cascaded
transport. The whole redo transport stack has to be reinvented. A
star-configuration (primary points to both standbys) is much easier to
setup.

It will take quite some text to explain all the tricks and pitfalls and
so on, and I do not have time to do that right now.
Topics to take care of are:

      * naming conventions. A must to do that right to give yourself a
        true monkeyproof HA environment.
      * Symmetry. Keep everything (filenames, directory tree structures)
        completely symmetric! You do not want to find your way out in a
        completely 'strange' system if you need it for real production
        work after three years! You do not want to know what nice errors
        people can come up with due to lack of symmetry.
      * listener setup. Be careful in separating roles a database can
        play: The most extended setup knows of primary, standby, redo
        transport, FAL and administrator roles. I use separate
        listeners, port numbers and for redo, preferably separated NICs
        for this setup.
      * connect time failover: this allows you to switch over / fail
        over without hassle for the applications. They simply reconnect.
        You can ppoint the FAL_SERVER at the standbys to a FAILOVER
        enabled tns entry too. A standby that is not involved in a
        switchover will smoothly find the new primary then.
      * switchover itself. When you perform a switchover, this inserts
        an End-of-Redo marker in the redo stream. The standby database
        (both of them!) will switch to a 'switchover pending' state. The
        standby database that is becoming primary can handle this
        perfectly. The 'not involved' standby however will never
        discover there is a new primary and will sit in this 'switchover
        pending' state forever. Solution: shutdown the standby, create a
        new standby controlfile at the (new) primary, copy it to the not
        involved standby replacing its previous controlfile, and let it
        resume the managed recovery.
      * Don't forget to take advantage of the DELAY feature at the DR
        site.
      * I prefer to set up a database with a minimum size at the primary
        server, and create standbys of that database. I use a SID of
        DGT, Data Guard Test, most of the times for this purpose. This
        allows the DBA to test the whole stack, including firewalls and
        so on, without faking anything. Using that database to practice
        switchovers, failovers, (re-)instantiations and so on
        contributes a lot to swlf confidence.

A setup like this isn't too cumbersome. Normally (on non-Windows
systems) it takes 2,5 - 4 days to do the whole setup, including test
environment and knowledge transfer. I use scripts (ksh, sql).

I'm preparing the DG special I'm gonna teach for OU, and writing a white
paper that covers this topic. Part of it might be available at RMOUG
training days in February. On the pre-training days afternoon I'll
present a 4-hour 'University session' about DG.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===

> Dick Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> 45 Bartlett St  Marlborough, Ma 01752, USA
> Tel.: 598.573.1978 |Fax:  508.229.2019 | Cell:508.742.5795
>
> RGoulet@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> : POWERING TRANSFORMATION

GIF image