Data vs. Information

  • From: chet justice <chet.justice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 00:36:42 -0400

I recently tried to make a case for
in the last line of the post I wrote:

Records in a table typically constitute data. Tables, joined together, in a
> view, tend to *turn that data into information.*

A very good friend and mentor who has like 27 masters degrees took umbrage
with this statement.  He said that data is information.

While I don't necessarily disagree with him, I tried to frame it in the
context of a database.  I've always been told, or read, or heard, that a
database stores data and from that, you get information (in the form of
queries, reports, etc).

Am I off my rocker here?  Am I misinformed?  Or just misspeak?

More than anything I think it was more of a theoretical discussion, but I
have enough respect for this individual to give it further thought?

Anyone have an opinion or links on the subject?

chet justice