Data Transfer and different Charactersets

  • From: "Amir Gheibi" <gheibia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:13:37 +0800

Hi

I have inherited an Oracle 10g (10.2.0) with the following charcterset
information installed in a HP-UX server:

NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET: AL16UTF16
NLS_CHARACTERSET: AL32UTF8

I also have another Oracle 10g installed in my own laptop (windows XP) with
the following charcterset information:

NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET: AL16UTF16
NLS_CHARACTERSET: WE8MSWIN1252

I'm trying to use "imp" and "exp" to export data from a tablespace in my own
database and import it into the server database.

But the import process terminates because of the difference between server
database's charcterset and the export file's.
Is there a way to export or import data with different character set or
convert the characterset on the fly?

I'm connecting to this server using VPN from my client. And I should say
that I'm not a DBA. I'm maintaining this server temporarily.

Any help or idea is appreciated.