Data Sourced from mainframe for Oracle application

  • From: Freeman Robert - IL <FREEMANR@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx '" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:07:19 -0500

Hey fokls... looking for some feedback.

I've got data sourced from other databases (e.g. DB2, etc..) that is comming
into a central Oracle database. Right now, this data is fairly small, but
the volume will be increasing quickly (amount of data and number of tables
being replicated), and the number of applications that will be using this
data will increase as well. Each of these applications has different data
retention requirements (some, for example, only need the data for 10 days,
other for 180, others for 365, and each only need subsets of the whole).

Each application also has it's own application specific data as well of
course.

So, I'm trying to decide what the best architectural option is here. The
options as I see them are:

1. Have one big data store for the data, throw all the applications in it
being careful to tune each one so they won't step on the other.  Benefit:
Data is only stored in one place, no physical duplication of data. This is
not my prefered course of action, but others prefer this.

2. Have multipule instances for the more critical applications, and
duplicate (replicate) the data to those instances. Less important, and less
performance impactive applications could sit on a single database, but those
mission critical applications would sit on their own instances/disks/etc...
the down side of this is duplication of data, and more disk space is
required. Still from an administrative point of view this seems a better
course of action.

Any thoughts on this?

Robert