RE: Data Pump and compression

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew.Kerber@xxxxxxx, rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:16:15 -0700 (PDT)

You can compress metadata AND/OR data with datapump.
When I was testing it, I saw some pretty significant
numbers on compression of database data. Don't have
exact ones but well over 10-15%. (over 50% as I recall
in my test).

Again the question is licensing. I'm not sure if this
is covered in the compression license or not.

RF

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28279/chapter1.
> htm#FEATURENO06982
> >
> > "
> > Data Pump provides the ability to compress the
> metadata of a dump file
> set,
> > which can shrink the dump files by 10-15%.
> >

> --
> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

> NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any
> attached files are confidential.  The information is
> exclusively for the use of the individual or entity
> intended as the recipient.  If you are not the
> intended recipient, any use, copying, printing,
> reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or
> forwarding of the message or any attached file is
> not authorized and is strictly prohibited.  If you
> have received this electronic mail message in error,
> please advise the sender by reply electronic mail
> immediately and permanently delete the original
> transmission, any attachments and any copies of this
> message from your computer system. Thank you.

> //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l

Robert G. Freeman
Author:
Now Available for Pre-Sales on Amazon.com!!!!
Portable DBA: Oracle  (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press)
Oracle9i New Feature
Blog: http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com (Oracle Press)