RE: Data Pump and compress on the fly in Unix

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:19:53 -0500

Hmm, I?ve never noticed that note ? is it the kind of not supported as in
?don?t call us for help in using named pipes? or the kind of not supported
as in ?if you use this it won?t work?

I?m not even convinced Oracle?s software can tell the difference between a
stream of bytes from a named pipe and a stream of bytes from a file.

That transparency is why Kemeny and Kurtz called them communications files
and noted that every data source and every data sink is a file. I?m
moderately sure D. Ritchie followed that lead when building UNIX, but
sometimes I mis-remember things.

Another possible confusion is whether Oracle?s note was about Unix named
pipes or what a company convicted of restraint of trade also called named
pipes.

Have you got a reference to that note? I?d sure like to read it and try to
figure out when in the gap between 1988 when Oracle specifically recommended
using named pipes to me and now they desupported them. Of course that was
export, not datapump, but I still can?t quite grok how their software would
be able to figure out the difference in the source of the bytes.

Regards,

mwf