From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of April Sims
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 3:38 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Data Guard to Logical Standby

Comments within.

April Sims
SELECT IOUG Contributing Editor
http://aprilcsims.wordpress.com
OCP 8i, 9i, 10g DBA
Southern Utah University
sims@xxxxxxx
940-484-4276

>>> "April Wells" <awells@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 5/1/2008 2:25 PM >>>
Okay... I'll buy that.

However...

On the logical standby, can I create users that are not in the primary
database?  I'm trying to multi-purpose this database rather than "just"
being a transformation database between solaris source and linux
destination by keeping historical data and giving us an alternative
place to run some batch reporting.  But I don't want to rely on the fact
that the data and structures are all representative of the up stream
primary.

*****The trick to guard only the tables that are coming from the primary
database.
That is done with the command-
alter database guard standby;

Then you can create tablespaces, users,materialized views,indexes etc
specific to the logical standby which are not on the primary.

Or am I stuck with "just" having the ability to structure the whole
database as if it were the primary?

April