Re: Data Center Move

  • From: Alex Gorbachev <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: atirone@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:06:17 -0400

Angel,

Im a bit late but I haven't seen much follow up except one reply assuming that you need to move to the new storage. Based on your post I would rather assume that yo physically moving machines themselves as well as storage so your move might be more difficult.

Single instance databases live well when changing IP's or hostnames - just make sure that network configurations is corrected like listener and tnsnames.ora files.

RAC is more complex but here is just an overview of few obvious options.

If you hostnames are changed than clean way wold be to re-instal CRS and Oracle homes. Another way would be a slight hack depending how adventurous you feel. I posted an example how to do change hostnames in RAC cluster without re-install - http://www.pythian.com/blogs/482/changing-hostnames-in-oracle-rac .

If you don't need to change hostnames but only IP's than you probably will be fine reconfiguring your VIPs (http://www.pythian.com/blogs/210/oracle-10g-r2-rac-vip-on-wrong-interface ) and interconnect (previous link as before has reference as well).

If you have more specific questions - let me know.

Alex

On 15-Apr-08, at 3:30 PM, Angel Tirone wrote:

We are consolidating data centers and need to move a couple of Oracle
databases, including a 3 node production RAC.  This will  require
changing the IP address of every machine that is moved.

I am opening an SR with Oracle, but real world pointers / tips /
gotcha's / how-to's etc. on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Oracle versions are 9.2.0.4, 10.1.0.5 (RAC) and 10.2.01 on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
(and yes, once the machines are moved we plan to upgrade Oracle)

Thanks!
--

Angel Tirone
Database Administrator III