Re: Daily partitioning

  • From: Stefano Cislaghi <s.cislaghi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 17:26:52 +0200

On 14 May 2010 12:17, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A few questions
>

>    1. How does data arrive? In a batch load or OLTP?
>    2. How much data are you talking about?
>    3. what do typical queries look like?
>    4. What's the DB version?
>
> 1. Batch load every nigh
2. The whole table may be about 6Gb
3. DSS query using date field
4. 11gR2

I do not want to use interval partitioning because I want to divide
partition in more tbs (interval partitioning will not store with logic
partition in tbs) and also data are pruned by the batch job and so I do not
want to have a maintenance to remove old ununsed empty partitions. I'm agree
with Leyi that 40 partitions are not big, but IMHO 40 partition containing
100 mb each one is not really nice.
Also datafiles are stored in the same DG.

11gR2 permits to use partitioning on virtual column, and so I can create a
virtual column that retrieve day of week and partition with this.
But...virtual column may be not visibile for users?

--
http://www.stefanocislaghi.eu