RE: DST Strategy

  • From: <Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pbashir@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:54:02 -0500

Looks good.  On the database side database restartability is not an
issue since it doesn't have to be shut down in the first place.  On the
java side I cannot comment.

I would go straight to version 4 and get it overwith, or eventually you
will do analogously the same thing again.  (which is what I am doing).

The reason is that someone somewhere may decide to experiment with these
data types, and it can be confusing enough as it is before receiving the
wrong answers.  Then of course you need to update.

While your at it, check your DBTIMEZONE is what you want, not that it
makes a whole lot of difference, especially if you always use format
masks, but for the most part it is best that it is consistent, and it is
easy now.  It is for timestamp with local time zone.   But once using
the datatype, changing DBTIMEZONE is hardly practical.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx
x72546