RE: DNS and SQL*Net Issue

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mkb125@xxxxxxxxx" <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:06:50 -0500

Hi Mohammed,

This is Oracle's LDAP autodiscovery feature in action.  SQL*Net library looks
for an SRV record, that will tell it where to find your local LDAP server.

I'm not sure why it would do the autodiscovery if you explicitly set
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH=(TNSNAMES,EZCONNECT).  Seems that if LDAP is not set in
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH, there's no need to autodiscover.  Perhaps the code does
the autodiscovery *before* checking the value of NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH?

Secondly, why does this cause your connect to fail?  Specifically, what error
are you seeing when failure occurs?

Third, just had another thought.  Do a 'tnsping your-connect-string' and look
in the output for two lines that look like this:
Used parameter files:
/oracle/product/11.2.0/db/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

Look at which sqlnet.ora file is actually being used.  Is that the one that you
edited, that has your value of NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH defined in it?

Hope that helps,

-Mark