Re: DBPITR with incremental level 1 backup

  • From: "Ingrid Voigt" <giantpanda@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ricard.martinez@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 18:39:07 +0100

Hi,

for a point in time recovery you need
- a level 0 backup as a foundation
- optional: a level 1 backup on top
- all archivelogs from the beginning of the previous backup
to the target time (either as backup or on the server).

In your case you have the level 0 from Sunday, the level 1
from Monday, but no archivelog backups between Monday and Tuesday
morning. So, unless you keep the necessary archivelogs on the
server, this recovery is going to fail.

BTW, it is a high-risk strategy not to keep some redundant
backups on file or tape. One does not always notice if a
tape is broken...

Best regards
Ingrid

-------- Original-Nachricht --------