RE: DBMS_STATS

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:10:28 -0600

At 06:27 AM 4/28/2004, you wrote:

>I have had the pleasure of attending a few of Wolfgang's presentations,
>and he has a very crisp German (Austrian?) accent.

German. Glad you found it a pleasure.

>I keep meaning to mention that he should try an Arnold/Terminator themed
>presentation....
>
>"Im going to terminate you if you stats are out of date!!".

If you had read my presentation/paper you would know that I argue against
the practice of analyzing on a daily/weekly schedule to keep stats
up-to-date. Most stats in the database I had been managing until last fall
were over 2 years old.

>To a developer...
>
>"This query better execute in .035 seconds or I'm gonna execute you!!!"

There's a myth around, supported by anecdotal evidence, that my mere
presence causes machinery (sewing machines, computers) to not misbehave.
Someone once suggested it may have something to do with the German
"Kommando Ton" (command voice)

regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation