Re: DBMS_RLS and Fine-Grained access control

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:04:37 -0500

Grouping policies enables you administrative control over policies. You will
group
related policies together. For instance, let's say that you are an HMO and that
you have one large schema, containing 1200+ objects called "PULSE". The "PULSE"
schema contains objects pertaining to the several functional parts: providers,
members, claims and enrollment. For instance, for members you have tables
with the personal information like date of birth, address, contact information,
SSN, primary care phyisician and alike. Furthermore,  let's assume that there
is a law called health insurance portability and accountability act of 1996.
which strictly mandates access to that personal information. You would want to
group all policies pertaining to the member information into a single policy
group called "MEMBERS". All those policies would have the same or very similar
policy functions returning predicates that would restrict access to member
information. Those policies would be meaningless for claims, for which one
would need a completely different set of policies, grouped into the "CLAIMS"
group. Policy is always added to an object. Policy consists of the policy
name, policy context and policy function. If you want to have a logical
grouping, you need policy groups. ADD_POLICY adds a policy without any
group connection. ADD_GROUPED_POLICY associates the policy with the policy
groups.