Re: DBMS_CRYPTO Error

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 07:35:26 +0100

Morning Ken,

On 23/04/12 20:54, Norman Dunbar wrote:
> I'm not 100% sure as I'm away from my desk at present, but I think when
> I used DES3 a few years ago, I needed to pad the text to be encrypted to
> a multiple of some length. I'll check tomorrow.

I'm in the office and I've checked my code. It is true, the data to be
encrypted needs to be a multiple of 8 characters long. As per this from
my code's package body:

function encrypt(iString in blob) return blob
as
        vData raw(1024);
        vBlob blob;

begin
        -- Extract raw data, pad it out &  encrypt it
        vData := BlobToRaw(iBlob => iString,
                        iPad => true);

        vData := dbms_obfuscation_toolkit.DESEncrypt(...);

The BlobToRaw code is this:

function BlobToRaw(iBlob in blob, iPad in boolean := true)
as
        vRaw raw(1024;
        vLength number;
        vPad integer
begin
        vLength := dbms_lob.GetLength(iBlob);
        if (vLength <> 0) then
                -- Read blob into raw
        end if;

        -- Pad if required
        if (iPad) then
                vPad := 8 - mod(vLength, 8);
                if (vPad <> 0) then
                vRaw := utl_raw.concat(vRaw,
                                utl_raw.cast_to_raw(rpad(chr(0),
                                                        vPad,
                                                        chr(0))
                                )
                        );
                end if;
        end if;

I remember reading somewhere that the data has to be an exact multiple
of 8 characters long. In the docs for dbms_obfuscation_toolkit for 9i I
think.

I also note that I seem to have used the iPad name long before Apple,
wonder if I can sue!  ;-)

By the way, this was part of a password vault system I had to write many
many years ago, all my data are well short of the 1024 characters I'm
using for the RAWs above.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.