RE: DBLINKs in critical production system

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Ajay_Thotangare@xxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:33:43 -0700

 Don't let anyone, other than a members of the DBA staff create links.  If you
do, data will quickly become uncontrolled.  Also, db-links can be easily setup
as passthrus.  A requester on database A selects from a synonym on database b
which points to a table on database C via another database link.

If you periodically perform a wholesale refresh development or staging from
production, the db-links will need to be changed.  This adds a maintenance task.

There is no more efficient way of moving data between databases than database
links.  I don't the problem is with the links themselves, but in that they
encourage via materialized views and such code to move data between databases
to not be
In individual databases instead of centrally controlled.

I'm usually for everything being I the database, but not in this CASE.
Again,there is the performance  issue.  I don't
KNOW anything which is going to be faster for replication than

Create table  blatz nologging
As select * from blatz@otherdb;

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center