Re: DBA_VIEWS interactive reference available from OTN

Rich,

I'm right there with you.  I can run the .exe under wine on my Ubuntu box,
but have these specific gripes:
1.  Choosing Full Screen locked up my entire PC - had to reboot.  Probably
more of an artifact of Adobe Flash under wine than Oracle's .exe, but
still problematic.
2.  The DBA Views are simply column / datatype listings with no
descriptions.  My old brain needs some explanation of the often cryptic
column names.
3.  The PDF of the database Architecture is better than the "interactive"
view, since you can see the whole diagram at once in the PDF.

Truly a flashy face on much-less-than-flashy content.  Thank you Oracle
for the beta version of this.  I'm looking forward to the full Production
release.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

From:   "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   12/09/2010 09:46 AM
Subject:        Re: DBA_VIEWS interactive reference available from OTN
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> OTN have provided a very useful interactive quick reference, similar to
the
> wallcharts you used to get that showed all the dba_views.
>
> It just runs as an executable once downloaded

Yay, another useless Frash app, presumably with the Win-only front-end exe
(there's no requirements listed).

I know I'm cranky today following a app server crash (Windows) last night,
but the lack of usability in applications today really gets me.  For
starters:

-- Can't use the Win-exe on non-Win
-- Even the Flash alternative can't be used on portables.  No Flashless
Apple i-whatevers and even on my Android with a 5" screen it's unreadable.
-- The DBA view categories list span the app top-to-bottom, so why don't
the
list of views themselves?  Why limit the list of views to that tiny
window?
-- No keyboard controls, no mouse wheel, no nothing but point and click.
So
much for accessibility.

I'll stop whining now.  While I'm grateful that Ora Corp made the effort
and
it's apparent that a lot of work went into the free product, I feel like
I've been given a 24" diamond-studded monitor with a 800x600 resolution --
it's pretty, but much less useful than what I already have.

Sorry for the rant.  Apparently I'm really looking forward to the
*possibility* of HTML5 to be useful as well as trash Flash.

</soapbox>

http://useit.com

Rich