RE: DBA Skill tree

  • From: William Wagman <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 08:48:59 -0700

I would agree with both Dan and Cary. As an 'old school DBA' having worked in
the same position for nearly 15 years I often feel that I don't have the
opportunity to broaden my experience 'under fire' if you will. I've often
wished, and asked the University to investigate, the possibility of an
occasional 3 month internship with a another company (faculty get sabbaticals
after all). I think (although I might be holding too high an expectation) that
the different experience I would pick up there and be able to bring back would
be most useful. Granted, I have to learn new things regularly but nevertheless
in the same environment. I'm not sure I am articulating well but I often felt
that I learned the most when placed in a new environment. Just my $0.02.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center