Re: DBA Skill tree

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:15:11 -0600

I would have to echo Bill's comment.

Being a one man shop, I know for a fact that my skill set has
degenerated drastically. I simply don't have the time to concentrate
on one or two aspects and become intimately familar with them. I spend
all of my time running around putting out fires, trying to develop new
'features' into my Apex apps, keeping all of the computers in the
office running, and answering end-user questions on everything
computer related.

Back in the old Bureau of Mines days (pre-1996), there were 5 full
time guv'mint employees and two contractors doing what I'm doing by
myself now. Even back then, we didn't have much chance to experiemnt
and expand our knowledge, but at least we had the chance.

--
-- Bill Ferguson