Re: DBA Skill tree

  • From: Jonathan Intner <jsidba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:28:18 -0400

Hi All:
That's a good point, that is, all that experience or certifications do is
provide evidence of expertise.  This evidence can then be shown to be
accurate (or inaccurate) by interviewing the candidate and, assuming the
interview is successful, hiring the candidate and reviewing their work over
time.

Personally, I think its a matter of looking at a combination of experience,
education and certifications to determine good candidates to interview and
then asking the same set of detailed, technical questions of all candidates
to be able to compare skill sets.  However, the proof is always 6 months
after the person is hired and you see how they recover a corrupt database!

I have also seen several exceptions to any rule: I recall the traffic on
this list many years ago ridiculing a candidate who said the equivalent of
"5 years' experience with 11g" today and one of the best Pro*C-PL/SQL
Developers I ever worked with was handed the version 6 SQL Language
Reference when he boarded the plane in India and came off the plane an
expert (I found this out years later, when I saw the person at another place
that he'd never seen Oracle before he read that book on the plane!).

Just my $.01,

Jonathan