RE: DBA Interview Questions

  • From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lyndon Tiu" <ltiu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:34:32 -0500

You'd think so.  I reviewed 9 resumes today and they have everything but =
the kitchen sink in them.  I had to make a spreadsheet and score them on =
what I thought was important for my shop which was none of the below =
with the exception of Enterprise Manager. If you are an Oracle DBA I =
hope you could handle OEM.

Everything you mentioned below was in these guys resumes.=20

What I thought was important was:

Certification - We have a common body of knowledge that Oracle thinks is =
important.  I don't know that it is all important but Oracle thinks so.
Data Warehouse - Very different from OLTP. Many Oracle features only =
make sense or are useful in DW. You have to know which ones.
Routine Prod DBA work (hands on).  When you read enough resumes you can =
tell who does it and doesn't. One guy never once mentioned tuning or =
backup and recovery.  He was all about facts and dimensions, =
requirements, modeling etc. Thats not who I want in here on a weekend =
trying to recover our database.
Physical/Logical - Can actually design a database or can implement =
something someone else had designed. Can insert a reality check into an =
architects plan.
Windows (nice)- No ksh, csh, etc, needed. Can you edit the registry? =
Manage services? Locate and read the application logs?
Informatica (nice)- Common frame of reference with Informatica =
developers.
Cognos (nice) -=20