Re: Curious Construct

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 05:14:47 +0800

Quoting Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>:

> 1. anyone else seen the NVL(select,select) construct?

yes.  Peoplesoft is notorious for including that
sort of complex construct.  I've only used it
once outside of that sphere and it was only one
select.

> 2. what if anything did you do to rewrite.

From a remote memory we hinted it until it
came back to a semblance of reason.  Usually a plain
vanilla /*+ RULE */ does the job, with a little bit
of tweaking of table positions in FROMs if that's the
case. This was before Peoplesoft was part of Oracle and
we couldn't really make the appropriate noises in the
appropriate places.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto