RE: Cross-platform database move

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fred_fred_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:29:47 -0400

I have completed several medium and large "Cross Platform Oracle
migrations"
[using EXP/IMP for most of it...and some other creative movement
methods}

Unfortunately the devil is in the details.

Potential pains;
 - 24X7 db / app
 - grants by sys
 - use of advanced datatype (XML, TIMESTAMP, LOB cause
problems/slowness)
 - enabling constraints
 - snapshots and or replication issues
 - invalid objects
 - and any number of potential bugs (just had one where Oracle failed to
create private synonyms for objects over db links)

Any when you realize this it is better to break up the EXP/IMP for speed
the will only further require a detailed plan or something is bound to
be left behind or undone.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA