RE: Critical Qs on materialized views

  • From: "VIVEK_SHARMA" <VIVEK_SHARMA@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:31:04 +0530

Jared, Folks

Qs 1 Can the PK constraint be created on a PRE-Created (already existing)
Unique index in ver 8i too?

Qs 2 Like an index can be created in parallel with NOLOGGING, ONLINE Clauses
can the Primary Key Constraint also be created with such clauses on a Table
having NO indexes? If NOT then would it NOT be advantageous to 1st Precreate
the unqiue index & then add the PK constraint?

ops$tkyte@ORA9IR2> create table t ( x int, y int );

Table created.

ops$tkyte@ORA9IR2> create unique index t_idx  on t(x) online;

Index created.

ops$tkyte@ORA9IR2> alter table t add constraint t_pk primary key(x) rely
novalidate ;

Qs 3 What is the significance of the above "rely novalidate" clauses?

Taken from the following GOOD Link on PK vs index:-

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:15663747642085018977::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:4941517587762

Thanks indeed