Re: Create controlfile for standby database

  • From: Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ric Van Dyke <Ric.Van.Dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:48:41 -0400

Carel & Ric,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I am doing this on test environment as a POC - how to setup
Physical standby database using 2 node RAC Primary and Standby.

Now I completely understood we don't need to worry about the
consistency between datafile backup and control file backup while
setting up standby DB.

Now I have another question....

When I was playing with switchover process I got into an issue as
below... May be I have to double check whether I am missing anything.

Not sure why it is complaining about the existing Standby Logfiles and
Redo Logfiles while switch Standby Into Primary.

SQL>  select switchover_status from v$database;

SWITCHOVER_STATUS
------------------
TO PRIMARY

SQL> alter database commit to switchover to primary;
alter database commit to switchover to primary
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00344: unable to re-create online log '/u01/oradata/primary/sredo11.log'
ORA-17502: ksfdcre:4 Failed to create file /u01/oradata/primary/sredo11.log
ORA-17500: ODM err:ODM ERROR V-41-4-17 File exists

*******REMOVED ALL STANDBY LOGFILES MANUALLY**********

SQL> l
  1* alter database commit to switchover to primary
SQL> /
alter database commit to switchover to primary
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00344: unable to re-create online log '/u01/oradata/primary/redo11.log'
ORA-17502: ksfdcre:4 Failed to create file /u01/oradata/primary/redo11.log
ORA-17500: ODM err:ODM ERROR V-41-4-17 File exists

*******REMOVED ALL REDO LOGFILES MANUALLY**********

SQL> l
  1* alter database commit to switchover to primary
SQL> /

Database altered.

Thanks again.
Sami