RE: Counterquestion - is Oracle a He or a She - or an It or a hermaphrodite

-----Original Message-----
From: Leandro Guimaraes Faria C. Dutra [mailto:ldutra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 8:29 AM
To: Kennedy, Jim
Cc: Niall Litchfield; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
psinger1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Counterquestion - is Oracle a He or a She - or an It or a
hermaphrodite

oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx gravou em 2005-08-08 12:29:28:

> No, NULLS mean no data.

        Sorry to break it to you, but it's funny to see you unwittingly

confirming my point... no data can be interpreted in lots of ways.

--

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete DUTRA
Administrador de Bases de Dados      +55 (11) 4390 5383

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged
and intended solely for the use of the person/entity to whom it is addressed.
If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by returning via
e-mail as well as delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or
dissemination of this message in whole or in part is prohibited. Please note
that e-mails are susceptible to change. TOYOTA DO BRASIL LTDA (including its
group companies) shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, neither for
personal, nonbusiness related information nor opinion sent through this email
or even for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. TOYOTA DO BRASIL
LTDA (or its group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been kept nor that this communication is free of viruses,
interceptions or interference.

People are free to interprate anything anyway they want to.(regarless of the
existance or not existance of nulls, if we had surgaflate the problem would be
the same - How to indicate when you have no information.)  If you laid all the
economists end to end you would never reach a conclusion.

But no, NULL means there is no information.  A perfectly valid piece of
information!  If the requirements are that we must not have "no information"
then make it NOT NULL for that column. (a very reasonable requirement)

My point was that a lot of people have trouble understanding what NULLs are.
In my example, (a real case) it was made clear why you needed to have the
instance when you don't know if the person has an allergy or not or if they
were never asked the question (no data, null). eg The information was imported
from a billing or scheduling system and that system isn't going to know that
type of medical information.  Which was the situation - why making the column
not null in this case wasn't going to work and why one could not assume a value
because that could have severe medical reprocussions.

Jim