RE: Cost-Based Optimizer and AIX Virtual Processors

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>, <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 23:30:47 -0400

IIRC the cpu_count parameter is dynamic- you can change it within
certain limits after startup.  We have done this on certain Sun T1 and
T2 based machines to alter behavior of parallel query and RMAN
processes, and I had a short class where it was mentioned you can do
this on AIX LPAR as well.  However, it was more in the context of
software licensing for Oracle, as AIX LPAR licensing can get
tricky....as if multi-core and multi-socket licensing was not confusing
enough.